Reflections on Money and Leadership

J. Michael - Money and Leadership

J. Michael - Money and Leadership

by Joseph Michael -
Number of replies: 3

It's hard to pin down my earliest memories but I think there was always a bit of dualism.  I remember when I was young and in a store, I'd ask for something.  My parents would often say its either too much or not worth it.  So, I learned to think critically about the value of things.  I also internalized this idea of scarcity to an extent.  (My folks were working class and not the best at financial management so the constraint was real but I now wonder how it might have been different had we opted for a mindset of sufficiency.)  In my formative years, I learned alot of anxiety about money.  My parents gave me an allowance to teach me to manage money on my own.  I learned that money was associated with toil and responsibility.  If I wanted to live a life of less toil, I should go to college to make more money.  (What I was supposed to do in college or how they would translate to more money was never clear to me.  I still look in bewilderment at office buildings and wonder what people do in them all day.)  I also remember my parents fighting alot about money.  Dad was often upset with mom for her spending.  I remember seeing that fighting and thought the answer was to not want stuff and do without so I kind of opted out of the money game in some ways.

As a leader, this will give me an awareness of the anxieties many people have around money.  This would also instill in me a frugality that may not always be constructive.  I view the stewardship of a church’s finances as an awesome responsibility.  I’ll need to work on keeping in mind that the money is there to be used. 

In reply to Joseph Michael

Re: J. Michael - Money and Leadership

by Deleted user -

Joe, from reading your post it seems like a core message that you learned about money is that it creates anxiety in people.  Recognizing this and also understanding that people have different perspectives on the role of money is an important awareness especially when making decisions regarding the preparation of the church budget, capital campaigns or addressing a deficit situation.  Depending on the form of governance/church polity and the way in which financial decisions are made is important as well.  For example, is there a finance committee?  Do they have the ultimate decision?  What is the role of the pastor and congregation in financial matters?  The individuals who fill these roles and their personal perspective on money (e.g. anxiety, frugality)  can have a significant impact on how the matter is handled.  

by Elizabeth Shuba -

Through reading Swift I also became hyper-aware of my tendency toward scarcity.  Luckily I had created a shift a year or so ago toward sufficiency.  It's amazing how more manageable the anxiety around money can be when your paradigm changes.

I think the healthiest part of your response to the last question is your willingness to keep your eyes open to what your own challenges will be.  Measuring this against how your challenges may inform you of your congregants' struggles bodes well for you your leadership not just about money but in many facets.

by Betsy McGeorge -
Joe, your early experiences with money reflect mine in my early twenties through about a year ago. Money was always a source of anxiety. I think you have well identified how your money experience will be not only a positive attitude to bring to a congregation, but also the potential pitfalls.