Leadership for Your Future

Byrd Week 5

Byrd Week 5

by Michael Byrd -

I think that the one thing that I need to change in order to lead in this "discontinuous new space" is not being to critical of myself. The military has taught me to be particular to attention to detail in everything I do. Understanding the reading and to take the steps necessary will take some discipline and effort. I am use to change and being flexible in many different circumstances. I also need to be able to set boundaries and relax from time to time. Be intentional about setting boundaries and follow through. This may sound easy on the outside but is something I have struggled with in a go, go, faster, faster life. With the ever changing technology I believe I need use it in a more methodical way at a pace that is best fitting to enjoy and share with others rather than chasing the rabbit.   

In reply to Michael Byrd

Re: Byrd Week 5

by Beth Eustis -

Hi Mike, What I'm getting from your post is that you want to relax a bit and set some boundaries for yourself in your leadership, to be able to get away every so often, mentally, physically, spiritually.  That you struggle to do so in this crazy world that never ends and that you'd feel guilty if you did take some time.  As someone who has seen what happened to a pastor who never stopped, I highly encourage you to take that Sabbath time. My current pastor takes off every Tuesday and Saturday, and takes 6 weeks off per year for vacation/study. You will so not regret it!

In reply to Michael Byrd

Re: Byrd Week 5

by Deleted user -

Mike, in order to lead in this "discontinuous new space." You think it is important that you not be critical of yourself.  You’ve expressed that you are used to leading in an environment that is changing.  The temptation for you is to be caught up in the need to be in the details and work at an ever increasing pace.  In order for you to be successful, you will need to set boundaries and keep them in order to have a reasonable work/life balance.