Joint Discussion Forum: Post due TUESDAY (4-28) 3 PM; reply to two posts by THURSDAY 3 PM

Teshome_Reflective Essay #2

Teshome_Reflective Essay #2

by Hyiwot Teshome -
Number of replies: 3

I liken the prophetic texts as narratives and words of arbitration (condemnation/bashing and or praise) by agents of God on the deeds of men. On the other hand, the wisdom texts, are musings and instructions to the people of God by wise men of society – I imagine a wise and aged uncle with a small crowd of kids at his feet listening to his pronouncements. 

For this essay, I will compare Hosea to Proverbs. In Hosea, the first three chapters are a vividly and violently depicted story of a relationship-gone-bad - between a husband (God) and wife (Israel). The wife is sleeping around with other men (other Gods) and the husband (God) is very angry and jealous and seeks violent retribution. Hosea is condemning Israel’s shying away from the one God that delivered it again and again and sees that Israel’s actions will lead to retributions until it gets back to loving the one and only God. God is merciless and exacting in his punishment with disgrace and destruction of Israel that leads to illegitimacy of her children awaiting Israel and its people (Hosea 2). As Hartsfield astutely points out in his essay on Hosea, God’s love “is based not on unconditional but compulsive love” (TAB 168) 

Proverbs, on the other hand, is tame by comparison and also doesn’t feign to have the authority of God in its pronouncements nor does it reference Israel. It teaches and instructs on what one must do to stay in the straight and narrow but it is the wise people telling you all that and not because God told them to share the teachings. Most of those teachings are observational and are obvious and, mostly, common knowledge and apply to every society, not only Israel. One good example I like is the one that instructs you on how to start of a child in the right way (Proverbs 22:6). There is nothing in it that talks about God or his laws and it can be successfully applied in our times and in our raising of our own children. 

In reply to Hyiwot Teshome

Re: Teshome_Reflective Essay #2

by Gregg Kohlhepp -

My friend, how could I not reply? You certainly highlight two books that encompass the divergence between the prophetic writings and wisdom literature. Hosea certainly centers upon the dominion of God, who is “merciless and exacting in his punishment.” Collins adds that Hosea’s “critique is that Israel repeatedly looked for political solutions instead of turning to the service of YHWH” (211).  Clearly, authority rests with God and not with human maneuvering, which places the wisdom collection worlds apart. As you detailed, Proverbs grants “human experience biblical authority” (O’Brien). I will admit, this is tough for me, especially when it comes with a backdrop of privilege.

by Mary Merriman -

Hi Hyiwot:  I find the Hartsfield quote interesting.  There are certainly ways to see God's compulsive love which keeps redeeming Israel despite her unfaithfulness.  God does seem to obsess over Israel as his first love.  However, does that also imply that unconditional love is different and in what way.  Unconditional love would seem to indicate God's acceptance of and loyalty to Israel despite her flaws and failures. How are these different?  Not having read Hartsfield, I'd like to read the article to understand his position more completely.  

by Julia O'Brien -

Thanks for this post, Hyiwot. 

Your contrast between Proverbs and Hosea is engaging, though I wonder how your description of Wisdom and Prophets might have been different had you compared Job and Second Isaiah. Not all of the prophets lob condemnation and not all of the wisdom books are quite as optimistic as Proverbs.

Proverbs *does* talk about God but in a different way than the prophets. Perhaps it's more accurate to say that  Proverbs sees God's will as expressed in the structure of God's creation.