Staley - Laws

Staley - Laws

by Maxwell Staley -
Number of replies: 7

In our readings this week I was intrigued by several points. Firstly, I was not aware that there was a separate Yahwistic Decalogue or that there were denominational variations in the counting/grouping of the commandments. This further points to the variability in God. That humans have interpreted the same 10 "rules" in such a variety of ways (with a distinct-ish set also in existence) shows that theologies have been evolving and influencing each other since the beginning of time and that is perhaps even a good thing. 

The Holiness code in Leviticus has always been a tender spot for me personally. This is the section of the Bible so frequently used to condemn members of the LGBTQIA community in really scary and terrible ways. That being said, I've always been curious because it has a place in the cannon for a reason. It is generally believed that it is in the cannon to provide readers with the information needed in order to obtain/maintain purity. According to Klawans, "what is pure is not necessarily holy, nor is the common necessarily impure." The difference between impurity and sin is complex and overlooked in our modern era. Impurity is generally unavoidable and that doesn't stop you from striving for holiness. There is also mention of sacrifice in this section which is important because that's the symbolic means for expressing gratitude to God or make amends (Collins). This communication has to be done when pure which mean God, if God wants the sacrifice God must provide ways to become pure.

Similarly to the code in Leviticus, the Book of covenant  can be and has been interpreted in problematic ways justifying revenge and further violence. Collins points out that the point is not revenge but moderation. If someone slaps you in the face it would not be fair to stab them in the heart. Interestingly, Collins also points out here that Jesus seems to revoke this ruling with his "turn-the-other-cheeck" sermon however, this sermon isn't coming from someone practically legislating a community. 

In reply to Maxwell Staley

Re: Staley - Laws

by Mary Merriman -

Hi Max.  Thank you for opening the second of the clobber passages for critique.  I'm actually more surprised at Collins writing on homosexuality on page 97 - 98. Collins appears to be trying to taking this law alone and attempting to put a square peg in a round hole and it doesn't work.  Reading Leviticus 18:20 in NOAB 4 and my New Interpreter's Bible, it is listed as a sexual sin among many and it's not labelled as homosexuality, a term which was not coined until much later. It's labelled as an abomination but so are other types of sexual sins though not all are punished so severely.  Or maybe death is not a severe punishment at this time in the wilderness. I think Collins does get closer to the case as he argues that the central issue is procreation. In any small indigenous tribe, the ability to survive is based on the ability to thrive in numbers.  I think Israel is positioning itself for growth and doesn't want to waste any seed (given their understanding of procreation as a capability unique to men).  His last paragraph in this section on page 98 is even more confusing to me though.  "Many other factors besides the teaching of Leviticus would have to be considered in a discussion of the morality of homosexuality in the modern world."  Was the Levitical law about morality or about population control? As I look at the list of "You shall not's"... found in Leviticus 18 and 20, I find myself wondering about the morality of law making in Israel that treated people with great violence through the law. 

by Julia O'Brien -

Maxwell, you've raised some good observations about the multiple values that are expressed in Leviticus--including the value that might undergird the sacrifical system.

It's really important to recognize that Leviticus isn't only regulating sin but is a bigger symbolic system that we'll try to unpack a bit.

We'll also talk about how our study can help us think better about Leviticus 18.

Really great observation that Jesus's statements don't offer guidelines for an entire group of people (which might make sense given that he's living under Roman law). 

by Julia O'Brien -

Maxwell, you've raised some good observations about the multiple values that are expressed in Leviticus--including the value that might undergird the sacrifical system.

It's really important to recognize that Leviticus isn't only regulating sin but is a bigger symbolic system that we'll try to unpack a bit.

We'll also talk about how our study can help us think better about Leviticus 18.

Really great observation that Jesus's statements don't offer guidelines for an entire group of people (which might make sense given that he's living under Roman law). 

by Julia O'Brien -

by Julia O'Brien -

by Julia O'Brien -

by Julia O'Brien -