Post: Week 2

Reeves_Week 2

Reeves_Week 2

by Neil D. Reeves -
Number of replies: 4

I was unaware that denominations view the Decalogue differently. Collins stated that the Jewish community viewed the commandments in two ways: 5 positive and 5 negatives; the Catholic, Anglican and Lutherans segmented the commandments in three areas; and the Reformed tradition grouped the commandments in segments of four and six. [82] Although, to me, he wasn’t clear on how the faith specifically segmented the commandments, I am beginning to realize that communion is not the only area where the faith community disagrees on the biblical intent of an area. This is new to me. 

In regards to the Book of the Covenant, I was unaware that enslavement occurred because people could not pay their debts. I was also unfair that prisoners of war were also sold in to slavery and that foreign slaves had to work beyond six years for their freedom. Women, too, were not granted the same time to secure their freedom as men were. The laws then seem to support reasons why we have similar laws of oppression today in our society.

In regard to Leviticus, I was unaware that the priest had the power to determine when a sin was forgiven. Also, the intent of the law was that society would pardon the sin after the burnt offering had been given and the priest forgave the sin. This law today would troublesome to us. First, most of us don't think that a priest or pastor has this kind of power. Also, most in our society don’t easily forgive even after the sinner has repented and has requested forgiveness.

In reply to Neil D. Reeves

Re: Reeves_Week 2

by Jennifer Weitzel -

Neil, thanks so much for your reflections! Your insights into how the text and understanding of the laws in the past and the similarities of today's society were meaningful to me. Your connection to oppression regarding slaves and women that are seen today with many groups of people causes me to consider whether or not there is a direct correlation to the laws of the past and the laws and social norms of today. I imagine there is a systemic problem. 

I value your reflections on the ways forgiveness worked in the past through the priest and the significance of humanity involved in the process, specifically through the priest. I also thought your pastoral reflection on the current state of forgiveness in our society is important to think about and consider as many of us move into pastoral ministry roles. I wonder how we might use some of our knowledge from this material to influence positive change in the communities we serve. 

In reply to Neil D. Reeves

Re: Reeves_Week 2

by Julia O'Brien -

Neil, you did a great job of lifting up aspects of the text itself and its later use that are new to you.

Collins focuses on the historical background of the laws, arguing that they were written much later than the time of the wilderness. Did that historical background affect your understanding in any way?

In reply to Neil D. Reeves

Re: Reeves_Week 2

by Michelle Price -

Neil, I appreciated your view point of the preist's role and the authority they once held. It seems as though they carried a lot of weight during that time and were held in high regard to be the ones approving the cleansing of sin. 

It continues to be interesting how we are all working toward the same purpose, but understand the Word differently even though the words are the same. It continues to be interesting to watch as the Old Testament is pieces together and why it is pieces the way it is. How does that piecing (when we understand it better) help us better understand what is truly written? 

In reply to Neil D. Reeves

Re: Reeves_Week 2

by Gregg Kohlhepp -

Good evening, Neil! In all honesty, all three things that you reflected upon were also of interest to me. I was likewise surprised at how different religions and denominations have viewed the Ten Commandments. I always felt they were straightforward, but I guess I never opened myself to the possibility to such organizational variations. Similarly, the fact that the priest had the power to grant or withhold forgiveness made me think much more about how the godliness of priests and clergy have shifted over the many years.

But, as the Book of the Covenant detailed the slavery laws, I was hoping to more clearly understand the story of Jacob, primarily as it relates to Laban. As Jacob enters servitude for the hand of Rachel, I was confused as to why it was for a period of seven years, when Collins notes "that the service of Hebrew slaves (was) always limited to six years" (85). I'm not sure why Jacob works for an extra year, whether he is classified as a slave or a worker. I imagine it falls more in line with slavery since there would be a debt for the bride-price. And on a side note, I do not understand how Laban is allowed to be deceitful, by subbing in Leah for Rachel, when the Holiness Code declares: "you shall not deal falsely; and you shall not lie to one another" (Lev. 19:11). Sorry for the rant. I was drawn by the fact that slaves might have had more rights than Jacob, in dealing with his uncle.