Collins_Week 2

Collins_Week 2

by Calvin Collins -
Number of replies: 1

I learned many new things from researching the time of which these books were written and specifics with each law and belief. I would infer that it is possible these laws were to protect people or what they felt would protect although they have been exploited over time by Biblical literalists. 

In the Decalogue, I learned that "the list of forbidden animals is given twice in Leviticus and Deuteronomy" (Page 36). If something is listed twice it could be because of two things, Q or the fact that it is important and worth noting twice. Knowing that Q is an unknown source that can connect which Books relate to others, I would suppose that is the purpose of repeating the list of forbidden animals. 

In the Book of The Covenant, I learned that "this book code could have had more additions made later than when it was first written" (Page 40). I relate to my understanding that the doxology part was added to the Lord's Prayer for a special reason but it was not the original plan for that scripture. This could be similar which is why I believe it is worth noting. If something is added, it could be that someone is trying to influence or impact others in a specific way instead of sharing those laws the original way they were written. 

In the Book of Leviticus, I learned that the reason for the the Holiness Code is to "remedy the lack of ethical considerations in the older laws" (Page 95). When I think of Leviticus, I think of the clobber passage that has been used to oppress so many over time. I do not think of it as something that would work towards ethical concerns of others. This really gave me a new understanding to this code found in Leviticus 17-26.

Peace,

Calvin 

In reply to Calvin Collins

Re: Collins_Week 2

by Julia O'Brien -

Calvin, I'd like to talk to you about your post.

Please check your email.