Kohlhepp_Week 1

Kohlhepp_Week 1

by Gregg Kohlhepp -
Number of replies: 4

Ever since learning of the documentary hypothesis in BI100, I have been curious as to where sources fall with modern ethical issues, like the role of gender and how relationships between men and women have shaped the stories of Genesis. In detailing this issue within a clearly patriarchal society, Theodore Hiebert offers a J counternarrative that promotes subordinate individuals, such as women.

Since the garden narrative in Genesis is believed to “support the subordination of women to men by interpreting the women as weak and blameworthy,” (Hiebert 11), I was encouraged by Hiebert’s finding that the Eden narrative demonstrates more equality than traditionally thought. However, I was surprised that J’s Eden seemed to legitimize the position and privilege of males while the creation of man and woman in the P source seems to “reflect more equality” as the “sexes are created together” (11). As a result, I questioned Hiebert’s contention that J then champions “strong women characters” who challenge patriarchal systems, finding the argument that the first woman actively theologizes with the serpent to be unconvincing (11).

It was not until Hiebert’s analysis of ancestral behavior that his argument gained strength, as he finds that “matriarchs…play a larger role in determining the transfer of power…than do patriarchs” (19). These narratives derive from J stories in the Ancestral Age of Genesis. Specifically, Hiebert’s examines the deceit of J’s Rebekah and Jacob, wrestling power and privilege from Isaac and Esau. Later, the strength found in Tamar works to further J’s erosion of patriarchal systems. Here, Tamar masterfully outwits Judah, “rectify(ing) her undeserved predicament” (24)

In reply to Gregg Kohlhepp

Re: Kohlhepp_Week 1

by Julia O'Brien -

Gregg, you've pointed to really interesting cases where Hiebert is describing the characterization of women in the different sources of Genesis. 

Can you say more about why you found his description of Eve's characterization unconvincing? Of course, here Hiebert is mostly agreeing with another scholar (Phyllis Trible) that Eve is more active than Adam, but I wonder if your own careful reading of Gen 3 suggests that she is as bad as religious tradition has made her out to be. In light of Hiebert's claim that the disobedience in the garden isn't a catastrophic Fall but rather the inauguration into what it means to be human, might Eve's actions be seen less negatively?

by Caroline Bashore -

Gregg,

The Human identity and gender section of Hiebert's writing also caught my eye because of the contradictions of the J source's view on the patriarch. I would have to agree with you that the argument portraying Eve as the active theologian to be weak. For me, the main reason that I don't agree with this statement is because of the word debate. On page 11, Eve is said to debate with the serpent and that is why she is at fault and not both Adam and Eve. Yet, when I read Genesis 3:1-6, I do not consider the conversation between Eve and the serpent to be a debate; there were no arguments made by Eve to define why she was told not to eat the fruit off the tree. Rather, the serpent had deceived her. 

by Kevin Smith -

Gregg,

Thank you for your thought provoking post. So yes, I agree with you summary, agreeing with Hiebert that 'matriarchs play a larger role in determining the transfer of power ', and like you I don't see the reason because of Eve's action, but rather the predominant patriarchal system.  In particular as we have read in the Fentress-Williams, people, in this case the Israelites and African Americans, will yearn for liberation. Therefore, wouldn't we expect that under a patriarchal system, that women would yearn for more freedom? Not because Eve was actively challenging God.

As I read Genesis 3:1-7, I see Eve's humanity coming out. She 'saw the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes'. Maybe she was hungry, and who could pass up a deliciously ripe peach, just hanging there? And 'the tree was to be desired to make one wise.' Was she trying to be like God? That certainly sound human to me.

I know I am going off subject here, but God told them if they touched it or eat of it they would die.  Did they?  No.  So either God lied, or maybe 'die',doesn't mean a physical death?

by Calvin Collins -

Gregg, 

I have always thought of Eve in a different way and that like the patriarchal idea, it makes the woman the victim even if this happened this way, it did not, or it never happened. It is easy to say lets blame Eve especially if people see women inferior to men. I heard just the other day someone sharing a disturbing post where someone was saying that since a rib from Adam was how women were made that women should be inferior. As you and I both know there are more than one creation story. There are many times in modern history that biblical literalists will justify things due to scripture without understanding or looking into the context. 

Peace,

Calvin