Post: Week 1

Smith_Week 1

Smith_Week 1

by Kevin Smith -
Number of replies: 6

Judy Fentress-Williams in her exploration of the book of Exodus in The Africana Bible, makes the theological point that the struggle for deliverance and liberation for the Hebrews in Egypt also has resonance with the experiences of African-Americans. Through the use of critical biblical scholarship, most specifically utilizing the 'world in front of the text' to help draw parallels between the two groups, she able to bridge the gap between two groups of people. 

She creatively uses a modern or current specific cultural lens around music to illustrate her points. In stressing the point about the importance of the Israelites retelling the story of their deliverance, she says their retelling is like remixing a song.  The song or story remains the same, but by "emphasizing or diminishing particular elements", the song or story takes on new meaning.

She continues other comparisons, calling how African-Americans have venerated Moses, to sampling. By pulling out the better parts about Moses, they have “sampled” from his life the parts that have the most significance for them, much like one would pull out, or “sample” a part of song to use somewhere else.

There are other modern references like a “Top Ten” list to the Ten Commandments, or a House Party to the Tabernacle where the Israelites worshipped.  By connecting an ancient story with familiar modern culture, Fentress-Williams is able to able to bridge the difference in years and heritages of peoples who both experienced slavery and liberation. “The experiences of African Americans and the Israelites make clear the encounter and experience with God is the foundation for the covenantal relationship that enabled both communities to remain people of faith.”

In reply to Kevin Smith

Re: Smith_Week 1

by Jennifer Weitzel -

Kevin, thanks for your point of view on the world in front of the text regarding this reading. I found her insights to be very helpful and particularly enjoyed her musical analogy. I think you have well-stated her points and made sense of her arguments. I did not remember her mentioning the Decalogue like a "Top Ten" list, yet this makes complete sense to me! I went back and reviewed the text and realize I completely overlooked that connection in her title of "Remix 5." Thanks for your perspective!

In reply to Kevin Smith

Re: Smith_Week 1

by Julia O'Brien -

Kevin, you've well described Fentress-Williams's effective use of *world in front of the text* approaches. I agree that her discussion offers rich insights.

Do you ever see her using other methods? For example, I wonder how you would describe how she gets her results in Remix 2: Moses Has Two Mommies.

In reply to Julia O'Brien

Re: Smith_Week 1

by Kevin Smith -

Dr .O'Brien,

Although she labels that section Remix 2, Moses has Two Mommies, and so it would appear that she would continue relating the Exodus story to a modern context, she uses literary criticism to find the patterns within the Exodus narrative.  Most especially the theme of deliverance; where Moses as a baby is delivered from delivered into the hands of Pharaoh's daughter. She uncovers the thematic; "saw, heard and too pity", that plays itself out with Pharaoh's daughter, and ultimately by God in response to the Israelites cry for salvation.

In reply to Kevin Smith

Re: Smith_Week 1

by Julia O'Brien -

Kevin, your identification of her structural analysis is really helpful.

In reply to Kevin Smith

Re: Smith_Week 1

by Neil D. Reeves -

Kevin, I too noted the points Fentress-Williams made about some African-American leaders being called the Moses of today. She further asserts that the flaws of Moses were sampled out to the story and the strengths of women in Exodus were omitted. I believe that only thinking about the good in a person is something that is commonly done. Because of this view point, I think it is acceptable to omit the flaws of Moses just as it is acceptable to omit the flaws of the women she cited in her writing.  

In reply to Neil D. Reeves

Re: Smith_Week 1

by Julia O'Brien -

Neil, you've made an interesting claim that it's OK to overlook the flaws of the characters.

Do you think that the text of Exodus does that? If not, is it valuable to recognize that the text characterizes these folks with flaws? Might that be theologically significant?