Post: Week 1

Tobin_Week 1

Tobin_Week 1

by Ryan Tobin -
Number of replies: 3

Hiebert uses source criticism in his discussion of the tension between creationism and evolution (TBC, pp. 6-8). Hiebert describes and rejects two approaches for resolving this tension, and then offers his own proposal: the biblical text outlines an approach to cosmology that is still valid to modern readers and still relevant even though our scientific understanding is much greater.

Source criticism is used to consider the motivations of the Priestly writer of the first creation story. Hiebert argues that, consistent with the Priestly approach as it is understood by modern bible scholars, the writer is attempting to place the ancient understanding of cosmology into a theological frame. Specifically, the Priestly writer is using cosmology as an example of the orderliness of God’s creation; and generally, the writer is trying to convince his readers that there is a way of understanding cosmology that includes cultural and religious views (8). 

In short, Hiebert concedes that the Genesis account is less accurate than modern approaches, but argues that it is a more “holistic account of beginnings” (8). Hiebert challenges modern theologians to approach our modern understanding of cosmology with the same goal: to provide a more complete understanding of creation than we would be able to achieve by only using modern science. I think that Hiebert’s argument is quite compelling and does a good job of using source criticism to make his point.

In reply to Ryan Tobin

Re: Tobin_Week 1

by Jennifer Weitzel -

Ryan, I also found Heibert's use of source criticism to be used well and adequately described. The passages that you are referencing are the ones that stood out to me most obviously for this type of critical biblical scholarship. I was able to easily notate the P and J sources throughout Heibert's commentary on the creation stories and recognize the validity in his argument. I think you have well-stated some of the same things I noticed. Thanks!

In reply to Ryan Tobin

Re: Tobin_Week 1

by Julia O'Brien -

Ryan, you've helpfully described Hiebert's argument that the P account was linking the *science* of its own day with a particular theology. That does indeed invite modern Christians to take up the same task, considering how we can be true to science and also testify to the divine purpose of life. 

His invitation to link modern scientific understandings of the origins of the universe with our theology, though, isn't followed by any suggestions of what this would look like. Do you have any ideas? 

In reply to Ryan Tobin

Re: Tobin_Week 1

by Caroline Bashore -

Ryan,

For me, as I was taught in church about "the" creation story (combination of both as most churches teach it), and in school about evolution and the universe, how science can be combined with my faith beliefs has a question that I have been transforming over the years. I appreciate that you have pointed out what stood out to me most which is that science and theology do not oppose each other, but rather they build off of each other. It is important to remember how far science has come since composition of Genesis, and so the "science" of evolution found in the text and it's contradictions to current science does not invalidate the scripture itself.