Theology and Leadership Post

Panzarella: Week 3 - Theology & Leadership

by Michael Panzarella -

“A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.” – John C. Maxwell

Honestly, I did not have a quote from memory and just searched the internet.  However, when I came across this quote, it certainly speaks to me.  I have always believed one should do as s/he says.  For instance, I never give advice to my kids that I do not follow myself.  If I were to find something that would contradict my own behavior, I use it as an opportunity to learn and grow before I can truly encourage them on that path.  As for the above quote, I really center on the second half: "goes the way, and shows the way."  It certainly is important for a leader to 'walk the walk.'  By that example of living in the manner you want a congregation, for example, for live, it demonstrates to them, by a living example, how to do so.  In the context of a church community, it is important for ministers to try to live the love Christ exemplifies, so that others take witness and learn how to do so themselves by seeing the example set forth.

On a deeper level, Jesus was our leader in this manner.  God certainly "knows."  He incarnated Himself as Jesus to 'go the way' and live the love of God and neighbor.  In doing so, Jesus became our example by 'showing us the way' in how He faced a variety of challenges, societal or internal.

[Quote found here: https://walterbright.org/2012/09/25/top-10-leadership-quotes/]

In reply to Michael Panzarella

Re: Panzarella: Week 3 - Theology & Leadership

by Deleted user -

Mike, I think you make an important point.  When we observe those in leadership positions we not only listen to what they say, but we also observe how they act.  Often times we see discrepancies and label people as hypocrites.  While it is important to have our "talk" and "walk" be consistent, it is equally true that we are "human" and there will be times when this is not always so.  The key, as you point out, is for a leader to see this and be able to make the necessary adjustment.  The ability to see the discrepancy would be in line with the definition of emotional intelligence and I would go further to say that if someone else called out the discrepancy, an emotionally intelligent leader would be able to hear and respond gracefully making the needed adjustment to their "talk" and "walk."  

In reply to Michael Panzarella

by Coralis Weston -

I love this quote I do because it shows as you have pointed out that a leader should get “dirty” with others. One of the things that I learned early on in my career is that the people I lead show respect to me and believe in me because when things get hard I am doing the same work they do. I don’t have a problem filling in and doing what they do. I even do it on days I have some free time just to keep well verse on the work. This shows when I ask them to work a bit extra they do it because I do it. Leading by example is one of the most critical part of leading.

In reply to Michael Panzarella

by Michael Wilson -

Great find, Mike -- tomorrow I want you to pay attention to the pace-setter style of ministry -- I think it fits with where you are trying to head as a leader.