Case Study Week 2 Forum

KEARSE: Case Study

KEARSE: Case Study

by Deleted user -

It seems that the church is experiencing what is typical for many churches today-limited staff, limited resources and a lack of clear direction. There seems to be some chaos, confusion and frustration among the staff and members. Aside from the diminishing congregation, the vehicles repairs are necessary and church expenses must be paid. There is also concern regarding the diminishing nest egg being used to maintain present expenses. The bright spot is the possibility of establishing an additional source of income with a daycare center. The community demographics leave ample opportunity to grow a very diverse congregation of believers.

I would want to know where the 46 members not in worship are. Has anyone from the church contacted them or gone to see them. Are they ill or injured or have they been offended by the church in any way. My priority is always people. I would also want to know the extent of the needed repairs of the vehicle and the cost. I’d need to see the churches accounting to determine where the budget gaps are and how they can be filled. I would want a written proposal (proforma included) from the young lady wishing to establish a daycare center.

Ask questions. The more information I have the more thoughtful and creative I can be when seeking solutions.  For starters I would plan to call email or visit those 46 missing members. I would perform a cost benefit analysis to determine whether it worth repairing the van or seeking another solutions. Look at the churches income and expenses to see where we can cut costs or possibly increase revenue.  After I looked at those things I would wait until after the meeting with leadership to address the other concerns. I would have Jose schedule a meeting with Marjorie to discuss her idea, then with meet with Mary to inform her that no immediate changes to worship are expected. Changing worship would be detrimental as there are more pressing concerns. Finally, I would sit down with Ralph to assuage his concern and ensure him that we will work diligently to keep the lights on.

354 words

In reply to Deleted user

Re: KEARSE: Case Study

by Elizabeth Shuba -

I loved your response about the missing people.  Good call to follow up on them.  I guess I assumed that congregation numbers fluctuate and that numbers may have been rounded up to entice a pastor in the search process but your response is right on the money.

47 words

In reply to Deleted user

Re: KEARSE: Case Study

by Coralis Weston -

When I read this "-limited staff, limited resources and a lack of clear direction" I thought BINGO! I like the fact that you are going after those missing members and re engaging them. At times some think of members as numbers and not humans.  The fact that you used "we" language when referencing Ralph's concerns is assuring as this translate to we are a team and you will also be part of the solution.

74 words

In reply to Deleted user

Re: KEARSE: Case Study

by Michael Wilson -

Joslin,

Great insights.  It is evident that you care about relationships from your post -- because your initial response is about the people and caring for them.  It is a really good insight as we are primarily concerned with the care of people.

I'd also encourage you to be aware of the organizational and strategic dynamics of this situation -- which will also require attention.

63 words

In reply to Michael Wilson

Re: KEARSE: Case Study

by Deleted user -

The scenario doesn't offer enough information to produce a strategy. There are budgetary constraints personnel concerns etc. But there are no financial specifics nor are there any specifics re: the organizational structure or culture. I cannot make assumptions. I would need more information before creating a change proposal.

48 words

In reply to Deleted user

Re: KEARSE: Case Study

by Michael Wilson -

Excellent insight.  If you heard the comment about the organizational dynamics as a critique of your post, either I wasn't clear or you didn't understand -- I was thinking of your next steps after your meetings and what will require attention then.  It would be interesting to see what you would do with more information!

54 words