Case Study Week 2 Forum

Bracken-Case Study week 2

Bracken-Case Study week 2

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

The first observation I made is that there are unrealistic expectations and perceptions. There appears to be a tremendous underlying fear from members of the congregation and they want the Pastor to fix everything but yet not change anything. The implications of spending the endowment for everyday expenses and budget is troubling. The staff all have different ideas about how worship and the church should be run. The organist does not want any changes made to the worship service and the church secretary says there needs to be changes made to the overall operation of the church.

I would want to know some of the church history.  What has worked in the past? What has not worked in the past and what programs, missions, etc. is the church currently involved in doing? I would need to see their budget and actual expenses as well as their giving and income. I would also ask what the actual average attendance in worship has been for the last year.  I would want to know who are the power brokers, who has to give permission for anything to happen. 

Before the meeting of the Board, I would gather and analyze the financial information that was available.  I would meet with the treasurer to gain information on giving patterns.  If there is a General Presbyter or someone of that position I would seek their insights into the dynamic of this particular congregations.  For instance, are their major upheavals that have affected this congregation.  I would not meet with any staff or parishioners until after the board meeting.   At the board meeting, I would put up a time line for the last ten years and give each board member three colors of post it notes.  Pink for good things in the past ten years, blue for problems or hardship and green for what they would hope for the future.   I would make no major changes until the board and I had time to assess and discuss and plan for the future. 

335 words

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Bracken-Case Study week 2

by Heather Petit -

I really like your method for getting the narrative of the church history. Simple, direct, not too lengthy for a meeting. This probably would work better than my approach (gathering a few narratives before the meeting), but with the same goal - getting a diverse view of the ups, downs, and direction of the church. It also would keep from creating back-channel stir (people talking about having talked about the church history)... I might have made some non-fans with my approach. Yours is more straightforward.

I think you've given yourself a whole heck of a lot of analysis to get done and people to meet in two days, though. I'm not sure all of that would happen before the meeting (though it definitely would be ideal to have it done and integrated mentally beforehand!). I'm not sure what you would prioritize if you couldn't get meetings or didn't have time to do the other things on your list.

157 words

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Bracken-Case Study week 2

by Michael Wilson -

Good insights, Heidi.  I've heard it said that disappointment is the negative difference between expectation and reality.  You certainly see that here.  

Roxburgh is excellent in pointing us to both the value and the danger of the past.  If it is the controlling narrative, then there is no change.  If we try to ignore it, it actually comes back around to influence the system in ways we don't expect -- a dynamic called "reflexifity," which modernity often tries to ignore.

79 words