Introductions Forum

J.Michael - Introduction

J.Michael - Introduction

by Joseph Michael -
Number of replies: 1

Hi my name is Joseph Michael (but call me Joe). Three things I would like you to know about me

1.  I have a PhD in sociology from the University of Cincinnati which entailed a lot of statistical and methodological training that I use in my work as a statistical advisor to the Federal Government 

2. I have working class roots in the Midwest but now live in the DC metro area.

3.  I love activities on or near rivers hiking, biking, kayaking, and whitewater rafting.

I work for a consulting firm so I have heard the adage "we have to build the engine while we fly the plane" before.  I think that in the business world there is a lot of bravado about making Herculean efforts about things and taking on projects that are poorly conceived so I cringe a bit at this.  Nonetheless in some ways this is always the case.  Anytime you are trying to do something new in an organization you have to contend with the way they currently operate and function.

In reply to Joseph Michael

Re: J.Michael - Introduction

by Michael Wilson -

Joe,

Great to be working with you.  Thanks for the introduction.  I'm a kayaker as well (although not as much right now as a couple of years ago!).  Looking forward to sharing some stories.

The bravado of some of our efforts and the temptation towards this in leadership is a great conversation -- looking forward to extending that through the class.