Observing a Meeting post

Kearse: Observing Meetings

Kearse: Observing Meetings

by Deleted user -

"What do I now know I need to learn about leading meetings in order to lead meeting effectively and well?"

I now know that whether a meeting is formal or informal it helps to have a set agenda for the meeting. An agenda is most helpful because it will help keep the meeting on track without it being encumbered by those who may be in attendance getting off the topic of discussion and taking the meeting into a completely different direction. The agenda helps the moderator of the meeting move from through bullet points and assists the group in ensuring that all of the points are covered.

In addition to having an set agenda. I would try my best to start the meeting on time. The expectation would be that all parties needing to be in attendance would be present and accounted for. Because I am mindful that people have things to do and busy schedules, I feel that starting on time lets them know that I am respectful of their time and appreciate their attendance. It will also let those who chose to be late know that they will miss information should they continue to come late.

If the meeting is such that decisions must be made, I would address the main points of the concern at hand then offer those present an opportunity to express their concerns. I would try to garner common consensus with regard to the decision to be made.  If it is a brainstorming meeting, I would likewise give each individual space to present his or her ideas. We could the reschedule another meeting to discuss how each of those ideas has worked since the last meeting.

Finally, I would want to end the meeting by ensuring that all parties involved have been heard and their thoughts expressed. If their are no other matters to discuss I would end the meeting. This is similar to how the meeting i observed was done. There was a set agenda, the moderator moved smoothly through the bullet points and all present were able to express their concerns. The added bonus is that there were snacks present and snacks are always good.