Discussion for Week 8

J. Michael - Week 8

J. Michael - Week 8

by Joseph Michael -
I found very interesting the concepts in hard wiring happiness.  To me this is an individualized version of creating new missional maps.  One way to take the lesson here is that this is fundamentally changing our ontology.  Our basis of knowledge is not only the bad things that wound an organization but the good things as well.  As the video mentions, we have evolved a negativity bias.  "We are really good at remembering bad things and very bad at remembering good things."  He discovered that if we take a moment to intentionally "H.E.A.L." we can absorb positive resources into our psyches.  I think this concept may be used to help an organization find a new identity.  If an organization takes the time to really absorb the good things and we are intentional about being grateful as Dr. Epperly suggests we have the strength to be more brave and even realistic about the things that may not be working and find the courage to change them.

In reply to Joseph Michael

Re: J. Michael - Week 8

by Deleted user -

I wonder – did you also heard echoes of Rest in the Storm during this presentation?  Jones has a lot to say about “self-violence” – the damage we do to ourselves when we lose our perspective.  I hear this HEAL approach as a tool to counter that self-violence.  Rather than allowing what is negative to overtake our personal narratives, thereby creating cycles of self-violence, does this HEAL method offer a healthier way of interpreting and internalizing our circumstances?

In reply to Deleted user

Re: J. Michael - Week 8

by Joseph Michael -

Thanks Mathew, I think you're right about this as an important form of self care and as a corrective to self violence. I think intentionally embracing the positive allows us to make room for who we are and come to place of greater self-acceptance. 

In reply to Joseph Michael

Re: J. Michael - Week 8

by Celso Mesias -

Yes Joe. Our brain put more attention in the bad experiences instead the good ones. Do you think , it's too hard learning to take in the good and weave good experiences in tough times? Also, I can buy it Have a positive experience, Enrich it, Absorb it, but to Link positive and negative material, too risky? So, there is a challenge to complete the word HEAL?, do you think so?

In reply to Celso Mesias

Re: J. Michael - Week 8

by Joseph Michael -

Yes, there is some risk here and you are right to use caution. For me though I can find strength in feeling good about a choice I made in a bad situation while separating myself from that situation and allowing myself to also not like my choice set in the situation. These are delicate matters though and caution is wise.  Sometimes you just have to let a bad thing suck.