Reflections on Money and Leadership

Caldwell - Week 6

Caldwell - Week 6

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

1. I don't know that I can remember a specific early memory about money. I can remember going grocery shopping with my mom, and asking for certain things, and being told that we couldn't afford it. 

2. I grew up in a household with a lot of economic uncertainty. My parents both had decent jobs, my mother was a nurse and my father was an electrician, but there were some periods during my childhood where my father was unemployed, and because of some poor financial choices, my family often felt economically insecure. As a young adult this effected me deeply. I had difficulty trusting that I could reach a point of financial stability. I tended to agonize over even small purchases, never really believing that there would be enough money to survive. I was also as a young adult terrified of taking on any debt, probably because of all the stress which debt had caused my parents. In other way I think I also learned the behavior of spending money as a way to relieve stress or self soothe. It has taken me a decade to reexamine my views on money and reassess some of what I learned from my parents, but I think I have a much better view of how to handle money today. 

3. I think that intentionally reexamining my views on money will help me to be a better leader. I view money more now in terms of investments. I am investing a certain amount of time and money into my MDIV degree in the hopes that it will eventually pay off. As a leader I think this influences how I view spending money. Especially in terms of managing employees, I think it is really important to understand how our organizations are investing in people, whether that is through paying a living wage, investing in education and spiritual development. Having had the opportunity to sift through what I was taught as a child about money, I think I am much more able to see that how I spend money or advocate the spending of money as a religious leader is ultimately a statement of what I value.  

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Caldwell - Week 6

by Coralis Weston -
I hear that based on what you experienced as a child you made some decisions of not going through the same path. I can sympathize with you because I also have the same issue I am always afraid of buying stuff I consider “luxury” because I am always thinking something in the house is going to break or I will need the money for something else.

I wonder if teaching money as investment will be a good way of helping people understand tithing. I believe it will. I also wonder if other understand that personal investment is a way of giving back. This could mean that you will have a congregation that will be all vested in the good of the church those who can do it financially will do their part while others will put time in the church doing other things as part of their investment.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Caldwell - Week 6

by Deleted user -

Jeff – you’ve got me curious about what “pay off” means as part of this conversation.  It’s used in the context of education here, but that sense of investment is an interesting way to look at spending.  In a congregational setting, being able to explain how these investments “pay off” is probably an important skill.  Can we attach a congregation’s stated values to spending?  Is it more Christ-like to have a new coffee pot, or children’s books available for restless young congregants?  When both/and can’t prevail, how do we coach people to make decisions based on their larger belief system?