Reflections on Money and Leadership

Panzarella: Money and Leadership

Panzarella: Money and Leadership

by Michael Panzarella -
Number of replies: 2

1)  What is your earliest memory about money?

Three memories come to mind.  The first is savings coins in our tootsie roll bank, a cylindrical cardboard container with a tin lid.  There was something satisfying about accumulating a full container of coins.  The second memory is donating spare change I had into the poor box at the entrances to our church, without ever being prompted by my parents.  I loved doing this.  The third memory is when my parents help setup a savings account at First Fidelity (when it existed) to help us learn about money and savings.  They had a children's account through which they provided us with this little book.  Each time we went to the bank, they took our book and printed on it our deposits.  It gave us something tangible to see what we possessed (albeit intangibly).

2)  What is the core message about money you learned while in your formative (7-15) years?)

While donating was important, even as my parents always gave to our church, savings seemed to hold the higher regard.  This certainly has been imprinted upon me.  Being sure oneself is secure financially, so as not to be a burden to others in times of crisis, for the sake of oneself as well as family was certainly taught under the realm of 'independence.'  Twist even supports that the ways in which we see our parents utilize money shape how we will use money. (pg 10)  Through the process of saving into my first bank account and beyond, I witnessed my parent's always display concern over having enough money to pay for bills, etc.  This certainly supported Twist's description of "scarcity" and the fear that "there's not enough" (pg 49).  Perhaps my parents struggle pressed them to teach us to save more so that we would be in a 'better' economic position than they were.  My guess is they thought they could teach us to manage money better earlier in life so that we would have more financial strength and less worry through life.  Twist certainly argues there is no point of stress-free feeling with scarcity and the belief of 'more is better' looming (pg 50), but rather only with the understanding that comes from 'sufficiency' (pg 67).

3)  What do you think this will mean for you as a leader?

I believe I will be challenged working on tight budgets, where I always feel a need to have a 'buffer' for 'rainy days.'  This positioning will certainly force me to take a look at what we have already as a congregation.  Maybe the discomfort in leaving behind the 'map' of money as a necessity to acquire and heading into the realm of 'money as a tool' (pg 8) will keep me in a more mindful and soul-filled place.  In this reflection as an attempt to grasp peace in finding sufficiency, I am certain that the attitude of "you-and-me" (pg 60) will prevail through ministry, only enhancing the awareness and importance of relationships (as opposed to retention of monetary wealth).

In reply to Michael Panzarella

Re: Panzarella: Money and Leadership

by Deleted user -

Mike,  Twist certainly captures our current cultural viewpoint as one of scarcity which is reinforced by our economic systems.  Twist's discussion of the three myths of scarcity (there is not enough, more is better, that's just the way it is) illustrates how ingrained this concept is within our culture and mindset.  Moving toward a "sufficiency" or "you-and-me" perspective is counter- culture.  While the congregation might "talk" this way or agree that the church should behave in this way, getting individuals to think differently and taking them out of that "comfort zone" of the scarcity mindset when it is reinforced by fear, is not an easy task.  It is interesting to think about this aspect (money) when combined with the way in which our culture is changing and the role that technology plays.  In a 2012 study done by the Pew Research Center  (Internet & American Life Project) that reported that  20% of US adults made a charitable contribution online and that 9% made a donation using text messaging.  According to the study, mobile giving was an important part of the $43 million dollars collected for the 2010 Haiti earthquake.   So perhaps as we think about making a cultural shift we also need to re-think the way in which we ask and expect people to give?  

In reply to Michael Panzarella

Re: Panzarella: Money and Leadership

by Deleted user -

Mike – your responses make me wonder about how we explain “enough” to a congregation.  I belonged to a church that has significant savings in a “roof fund”.  They also only pay for part time ministry because they feel certain that they need savings to offset an inevitable downturn of some kind.  With some distance, I can see that the savings sit while ministry opportunities in the neighborhood pass by.  I question what financial leadership closer to the “go broke trying” end of the spectrum might allow God to do in that setting.  Do we help people see money as a resource to be put to work, or as a safety net?  Both?