Reflections on Money and Leadership

Shuba Week 6

Shuba Week 6

by Elizabeth Shuba -

My earliest memory concerning money was from age 2-3.  My mother discovered that I had "boosted" a $100,000 candy bar from our corner store.  She made me call the store, tell them what I had done, then walk down to return the candy bar.  It was the first time that I realized what I wanted had a cost.

I was taught very early not too spend more than I have.  I can remember being about six and asking for dance lessons and being told that we could not afford them.  This would have been during the gas crisis of the 80s.  We had waited in a long line to fill the tank in our car, being a cheeky child, I yelled after the attendant that I hoped he was happy as the money my mother had just given him was being paid to him and wasn't going toward my dance lessons.

This philosophy has come in handy in my running of our business and in the positions of leadership that I have held for other organizations.  By creating and adhering to a budget, these organizations have remained healthy and viable.

In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: Shuba Week 6

by Michael Panzarella -

I wonder if your mother's prompting to call the store, as well as 'encouragement' to apologize in person, emphasized the relationship component that Twist seemed to emphasize on page 86: "...managing those resources with the knowledge that they are precious and in ways that do the most good for the most people."  Here, there seems to be a large ethical component that your mother imprinted upon you in that experience, which could mean that not just have you been taught the value of things and budgeting, but also the value of people and ethical implications of money.  Although 'cheeky,' your discussion with the gas attendant highlights your profound ability to follow the link of money as a tool through to people.  I wonder if these experiences ultimately put you in a mindful space of others when making financial decisions as a leader.

In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: Shuba Week 6

by Deleted user -

So I gather that your sense of sarcasm started early. Trust me, I love that quality in you. I would consider you fortunate to have the understanding that everything had a cost. I think having that understanding may make you more considerate and deliberate about how, when and where you spend you more.