Leadership for Your Future

Eustis - personal change

Eustis - personal change

by Beth Eustis -
Number of replies: 4

I realize a few things that I need to change in an effort to be a more effective leader. One is that I am arrogant - I need to let go of my ego. I need to be less defensive when people suggest changes or criticism. I am not sure yet just how to do this - thank God for my counselor. In an effort to lead, I need to be more concerned about what's going on with other people and less about myself. It's not about me.  I also realize just how much I take advantage of my white privilege. I have lived in white America my whole life. This experience in seminary is my first time really being in a diverse group of people for a long period of time. I am afraid of other cultures and new food, traditions, etc. Time to get out of my comfort zone.

In reply to Beth Eustis

Re: Eustis - personal change

by Deleted user -

I'm reading that you have identified defensiveness when confronted with change and criticism as one of your growing edges. I also and reading that you have identified privledge as an issue which you feel like you need ot wrestle with. I also am reading that you feel like you are in a place where you can take some risks and work to improve your abilities as a leader. 

In reply to Beth Eustis

by Deleted user -

Beth,

New things are always scary. I admire your ability to admit your need for this change. I would encourage you to spend some time listening to some people who are very different from you share their testimony. 

In reply to Beth Eustis

by Coralis Weston -

I hear that you want to work on your awareness of your feelings when it comes to your ego and your defensive approach to the situations. I also hear that you want to be aware of the state in which others are when interacting with you and taking note of that in your interactions. Your statement about white privilege and your understanding of the need to be in a more diverse group and understand them is commendable as many people are not self-aware of this.

In reply to Beth Eustis

by Celso Mesias -

Hi Beth. I hear that you want to improve your effectiveness as a leader, and to get that, you want  to control your ego that make you arrogant, and deffensive to other points of view confronting you by critics. Also, you want to experience more diversity in all their cultural expressions, taking the challenge.