Leadership for Your Future

shuba-week 9

shuba-week 9

by Elizabeth Shuba -
Number of replies: 3

I'm having difficulty naming something that I need to change because I believe that the moment that you name something that isn't working you should set about to change it.  What I can name are the areas that I am aware of that have not yet become naturally occurring.  I must always remind myself not to be judgmental, the easiest way around that is to listen before making up your mind.  Which is easy in naming it only. In order to be respectful in leadership it is helpful to be open.  I have a tendency to process things quickly and that doesn't always allow pause to think of others.  I am really great at apologizing but am working on not needing to. The second place that I am working is related to the first.  I am working to sit with things instead of responding the moment a path becomes clear to me.  I have come to know, too clearly, that taking pause before execution can often lighten the work load as it pertains to follow ups and minute changes.  So in short, I need to practice slowing down in my actions and my thoughts.

In reply to Elizabeth Shuba

Re: shuba-week 9

by Beth Eustis -

Hi Shuba, So what I'm reading here is that you want to think before you speak or act upon something, and that you want to let go of being judgmental - I hear you on that one. I also got from your reading that whenever something is wrong, it's gotta be fixed right away. You sound like a doer - I hear you there, too.

by Charlotte Johnson -

Shuba, I would just encourage you not to wait to long.  You have the gift of the ability to process quickly, and you should use it.  I on the other hand do not process as swift as I would like to and sometimes miss an opportunity to make a difference for others.

by Michael Panzarella -

Shuba, in your first couple of sentences, you articulate that putting a name to something indicates it as a problem and suddenly thrusts you into the realm of 'it is broke, let us fix it.'  This realm is polar and one you seemingly wish to avoid.  I believe you are trying to postpone judgement of others, remain open and think, which indicates a desire to create space to contemplate.  Your ability to apologize is certainly worth noting and links to your mindfulness of others.  Altogether, your comments appear to me as though Henri Nouwen's description of silence has impacted your self-awareness.