Post: Week 4

Price_Week 4

Price_Week 4

by Michelle Price -

After reading the sections from Collins I gathered that there are many descriptions of the character of David, especially when you read against the grain. So often we view David as a hero, but in Collins I see where David is viewed as an outlaw, mercenary, deceitful and violent. He may have been a hero, but certainly not perfect. Collins on page 152-153 describes David as an outlaw because he does what he needs to do to survive and protect his people. "When he is not in the service of a king, he must support his troops by whatever means available" (Collins 152). This led to deceitfulness. There were a lot of decisions that David made that he also quickly gave to others to deal with so that nothing actually come back on him. So often he was viewed as escaping "...the consequences of his actions by well-timed repentance" (Collins, 163). Despite his flaws, he is still able to accomplish great work in growing the kingdom. 

When looking at the article I would question that they described David in this way as they are looking back on their historical events. Almost as a way for them to be able to show how we got to where we are today from the events of what happened prior. Taking this information, the actions prior leaders took and their consequences, as they are working on rebuilding their identity in a time of destruction. Seeing how other seemingly ordinary people were able to rise to the occasion in times of defeat to come back and claim victory. That despite where they end up, they can still be the people of Israel. Simply look at David and how not perfect he was, how human he was, but how he was able to still be a hero. 

In reply to Michelle Price

Re: Price_Week 4

by Kevin Smith -

Michelle, this focus defeat by the Hebrew Bible authors is fascinating to me.  I find it striking that in the U.S. we love "winners", and their stories, and we (Christians) love the stories of the Bible, and I knew fully appreciated that these stories were written from defeated point of view. I think it actually makes it hard to reconcile us as American Christians.  We have never viewed our history from that standpoint, even something like Vietnam. 

It is interesting to think of Israel now, which is both a nation and a state, wonder if they struggle with their theological history and viewpoint.

In reply to Kevin Smith

Re: Price_Week 4

by Michelle Price -

That's out of constantly seeing defeat is definitely against our grain and our history. Although wouldn't we learn more from our mistakes than from only our successes?

In reply to Kevin Smith

Re: Price_Week 4

by Julia O'Brien -

While there certainly are some continuities between ancient israel and modern israel,it is also important to recognize that Judaism is not limited to a particular modern state.

the modern state of Israel reflects the realities of a very different geo-political context.

In reply to Michelle Price

Re: Price_Week 4

by Julia O'Brien -

Several posts have talked about the ways in which this literature humanizes David.

that is an interesting move for writers who also tell us about David being promised a perpetual dynasty.

Do you think this humanization downplays the davidic covenant? making David a case study for obedience rather than monarchy?