Post: Week 2

Weitzel_Week 2

Weitzel_Week 2

by Jennifer Weitzel -

I was most intrigued by how multiple traditions separate and group the Ten Commandments found in Exodus 20. I was familiar with the general Christian tradition that separates the commandments into two groups; the first four attributed to connection with God and the last six attributed to relationship with neighbor. I have never heard of the Jewish viewpoint of separating the ten commandments into two groups of five; five positive and five negative. I found this separation helpful as an alternative to reading the commandments. I was most intrigued by the Reformed tradition which groups the prohibition of idolatry (2nd commandment) and covetousness (10th commandment) as a single commandment. Both of the commandments are urging followers to focus on their gifts and bounty (God, possessions, wife) at the exclusion of everything and everyone else (84). Thinking about coveting as idolatry is something I have not considered for a long time. I am reminded of lessons I learned in my youth years; lessons that I cannot say I have been reminded of since then. This is important to me because I am reminded of the interconnection between the laws rather than the segmented, deontological style of the commandments. I am encouraged to think of these “rules” (embedded theology) more like a web of guiding principles (lived theology). I believe life is much more integrative, and I am seeing more of the Bible in this way. 

My mind is exploding with new knowledge in OT100, especially as I learn more about the similarities between the Hebrew people and the nations that existed around them. I found the parallels of the laws of Exodus to the codes of Eshnunna and Hammurabi to be fascinating (85). Here are different cultural groups that practice the same laws and codes almost identically, yet under different names and descriptions. I am beginning to see how similar this group of people was to the “others” around them. This realization of similarity makes me pause and consider how similar cultures are today even though I was not taught to see “others” as similar. I think God is doing transformative work in me to open my intellectual and spiritual eyes as I gain new historical insights about the Bible and the stories within it that bear relevance today. 

I was most interested in the “Blessings and Curses” section regarding Leviticus. I was surprised that this section notes there is less time given to the blessings and more time discussing the curses. This is reflective of my embedded theology that emphasized the things I should not do rather than the things I could and should do. I wonder, “Why is there such a long line of this style of teaching? Why is there so much time devoted to explaining ‘war, famine, and pestilence’ and so little time attributed to ‘prosperity and peace?’ (99)?” I connect with the P source because I like lists and tend to be a rule-follower, however, I am learning that any list at the expense of the people involved is life-taking and insufficient. I do not know how to resolve the conclusion of this section that assures the people that God will honor the commitment to his covenant over and above their enemies. Again, I wonder, “Why do some have to suffer while others prosper? Can God be for everyone instead of a select group?” 

Overall, I like the challenge I receive from the material thus far. I think I have more questions than answers, yet I am willing to sit in the uncertainty to be open to new insights and understanding.

In reply to Jennifer Weitzel

Re: Weitzel_Week 2

by Michelle Price -

The Blessings and Curses section caught my eye as well with the curses being brought out. It took me back to hearing about fire and brimstone preaching. Putting the fear of God into people. If we are fearful, surely we will fall in line, right? I found it interesting too because often in life it's so easy for us to see all the bad around us and not all of the good. I wondered if there weren't many more blessings, so what was their purpose in driving home the curses? Is it the same thought of putting fear of God into the people of the time?

I too have a million more questions now and I feel like we are only scratching the tip of the iceberg! 

In reply to Jennifer Weitzel

Re: Weitzel_Week 2

by Julia O'Brien -

Jenn, you've helpfully described new learning about these laws and the big ideas that they encourage you to engage.

It may be helpful to process a bit more of the details of the reading in your post. For example, were you surprised by any of the content of the laws? Are there things there that you didn't anticipate? Did learning about the historical context of the laws have any implications for how you might use them today?

In reply to Jennifer Weitzel

Re: Weitzel_Week 2

by Maxwell Staley -

Hey Jenn, I too really enjoyed the varying ways of separating the commandments. I think Collins is able to open us up to the idea that all of these things that we do and read now have gone through several filters which may offer an answer to your question "can God be for everyone?"