Theology and Leadership Post

Waters - Theological Quote - Throwaway People

Waters - Theological Quote - Throwaway People

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 4

“There’s no throwaway people in this world” – Arlo Guthrie, folk singer

Maybe it’s because of the Arlo show I’m going to see this weekend, or maybe it’s the election, or maybe the Sorting Hat that is the Spirit brought this quote to my attention, but it just feels right.  Right now, maybe nobody else does, but I needed to hear this.  Just reading it doesn’t do it the justice of hearing a cranky old hippie rant it on stage, but even the vanilla, printed version is pretty potent medicine to me.

I relish the genealogy of this proclamation.  Arlo uses it to describe the passion his father – Woody Guthrie – had for working folks struggling to make life happen.  Woody was a leader of sorts – the kind of leader that people follow because they see all the work getting done without them.  He was the old man in church who quietly starts doing the dishes after fellowship until the rest of the gathering is pitching in.  Not because of guilt, but because people know when they are witnessing something right – something true - being done.

I’ve always deeply admired leaders that don’t consume or spew an excess of wind as they compel followers through the power of example.  In that way, some of my favorite leaders probably don’t think of themselves as leaders in any traditional way.  That’s one of the gifts of growing up (as a new-to-church adult) in a small rural church.  Sometimes, it’s just time to work. 

As much as I admire the leadership of dirty nails, I also recognize the importance of thoughtful intention as its effective companion.  I don’t believe that the two approaches can’t both be embodied by the same people, but those people are rare and precious.  When the thoughtful intention is missing, work still gets done; what are missing are questions.  “Is this faithful?”  “Are we reaching out, or looking in?”  “Is this to God’s glory or merely self-preservation?”  It’s not an either-or. It’s truly a both-and.  There are no throw away people.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Waters - Theological Quote - Throwaway People

by Joseph Michael -

I really think you are on to something with this.  What a powerful quote.  This makes me think of Jesus. "The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone."  Jesus led from a place of rejection.  Jesus stood in the face of a society saying that sinners and tax collectors were not throw away people.  Real leadership embraces this tension and dwells in the uncomfortability of reconciling those whom the world has tried to throw away.  This also resonates with the idea that leadership isn't so much about accomplishing an agenda but sharing a journey of transformation.  This inspires me.  Thank you for sharing this!

In reply to Deleted user

by Betsy McGeorge -

Wow!  You took a wonderful quote and made it into something magical with a story behind it. I too believe that we lead best by example. I'm curious, though, what would be the downside as far as leadership where this quote is concerned? Perhaps getting caught up in trying to rescue everyone from the "trash" yourself?

In reply to Betsy McGeorge

by Deleted user -

That's a good question - I think the downside I was trying to describe has to do with not seeing the need for vision in addition to or in partnership with getting our hands dirty.  Conversely, we often see church communities talk themselves in circles (much to my frustration) without getting the rubber to meet the road.  They are necessarily complementary attributes.

Like all wisdom, I s'pose, it mainly comes down to balance and having enough peripheral vision to not get stuck in any one paradigm. 

In reply to Deleted user

by Michael Wilson -

Matt,

Great post.  Your emphasis on the humanity we need in order to lead well is quite insightful.  I posted an extended quote from Henri Nouwen -- which, I think, fits with where you are headed in terms of leadership.

Also, when we are working on leadership styles, I want you to pay attention to the affiliative and democratic style -- I think they fit with where you are headed.