Case Study Week 2 Forum

Caldwell - Case Study Week 2

Caldwell - Case Study Week 2

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 4

What dynamics did you observe?

I can see first that there is a lack of openness and honesty about where the church is, and a lack of vision for where this faith community is headed. It seems as though the Congregation was not clear with the size of the church in their information packet when he visited, and it also seems like the church does not have an open and honest budgeting process in which members can clearly see how the work of the church is being paid for.

There also seems to be a deep sense of anxiety within some of the members that the faith community might not be viable in the future in terms of either finances or membership. Everyone seems to be reacting by trying to find solutions on their own instead of engaging in a group process to find answers. 

I also see people jockeying to exert influence over a new minister. 

What other information would you want?

I would want to know the specifics about the financial health of the church. I would also like to know more specifics about the membership of the church including an honest accounting of the number of members, and whether the racial, ethnic and socio-economic mix of the congregation is reflective of the community it is located in.

What would be your next steps?

I think I would want to get a clearer picture of the situation the church is facing at present, then start to engage the congregation in a process to determine what they want their faith community to look like in the future. 

268 words

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Caldwell - Case Study Week 2

by Deleted user -

Agreed, Jeff - this study really only lets us form questions.  I wouldn't feel comfortable assuming much  yet, either.  I echo your list of things I'd want to know & add that I would want the congregation's sense of history surrounding each item.  I can only imagine who's grandfather made that decrepit old van possible & what name is inscribed on a brass tag on the dash!

64 words

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Caldwell - Case Study Week 2

by Deleted user -

Jeff, do you think the church is deliberately trying to hide their situation?  Could they possibly be in denial and not truly "see" the circumstances that they might be in?  Ralph is clearly stressed about the financial situation but what do others think?  Marjorie seems to be taking matters into her own hands but these are just two individuals.   The pieces of information that you would want -- financial health and membership are key pieces of the puzzle in determining what is the current status of the church.  

87 words

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Caldwell - Case Study Week 2

by Zoe Dheedene -

I also see people jockeying to exert influence over a new minister. “

I really appreciate this observation. Embracing the role of leader is important. While you recognize this, you don’t fail to view the wider community, both in mentioning the less-than-ideal individualistic approach being indicated by a few members and the desire to engage the congregation in their own leadership. This indicates, what seems to me, to be a healthy balance between embracing your role, making observations to aid you in setting appropriate boundaries, and also including yourself as part of the greater community. While making these important observations, you also approach the problems with a level head, making sure you know “the lay of the land” (I think I stole that from Shuba’s post) before diving in.

Although I’m sure you would utilize it, I didn’t read anything about celebrating the positive elements of the church. I would simply advise utilizing a positive outlook, along with hope and faith, to help to assuage some of the anxiety you pointed out.

171 words

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Caldwell - Case Study Week 2

by Michael Wilson -

Jeff,

Really good analysis and observations.  As we work through the EI material, I would think that part of the "process to determine what they want their faith community to look like in the future" will be how they community and treat one another -- the relationship management piece of that material.

51 words