What have you learned?

Weston_Week 10

Weston_Week 10

by Coralis Weston -
Number of replies: 3

My first quote is from Redeeming Administration (p18) “Administration that takes its inspiration from the Divine Administrator knows how to remain in relationship with people while still leaving them free and responsible for their own actions.”  This quote has helped me grow as a leader because it reminds me that as a Christian leader I need to keep my connection with God and provide others with the same mercy that God provides me.

My second quote is from Emotional Intelligence 2.0 (Kindle location 531) “Listening and observing are the most important elements of social awareness. To listen well and observe what’s going on around us, we have to stop doing many things we like to do. We have to stop talking, stop the monologue that may be running through our minds, stop anticipating the point the other person is about to make, and stop thinking ahead to what we are going to say next.” This is a very important quote for me because it doesn’t only helps me grow as a leader it helps me grow as a person. Understanding that I have to stop what I am doing and everything surrounding me to pay 100% attention to others while in conversation is very critical not only for communication but allows me to let the other person know I am invested in the topic and their feelings.

In reply to Coralis Weston

Re: Weston_Week 10

by Elizabeth Shuba -

In furtherance of your mention of the importance of "Listening and observing..." these tools are also immeasurable in ministry as we can only provide to the needs of those to whom we minister if we listen long enough to know what they need.

by Beth Eustis -

Dear Cory, Your quote from Emotional Intelligence is so on the money. I am in that exact position. I am learning to listen, really listen, without an agenda, without thinking about what I want to say in response, without getting impatient because they won't let me get a word in edgewise - lol. I also try to let the other person know I'm listening by nodding, or affirming or confirming something he/she said, or asking questions when appropriate. It's actually really freeing to let my own ego go and just let them speak. I feel honored by the things people want to share with me as a result.

by Deleted user -

Yes - that's tough!  Leading while allowing freedom can be scary stuff.  We are being tasked with fostering mutual trust.  Those we lead must trust our judgement; in exchange, we need to trust theirs.