Observing a Meeting post

Panzarella: Observing a Meeting (Week 9)

by Michael Panzarella -

In order to better lead meetings, I need to be continually mindful that there are different structures in which to consider flow.  The first structure is comprised of the physical moving parts to a meeting, which include people and document distribution.  The second structure, based on the agenda, is the verbal structure to the meeting.  While the two certainly intertwine, especially at points when a new agenda item is started, both need to be carefully considered for smooth flow.

Another aspect that I need to work on is humor.  In my experience as a teacher, humor was such a powerful tool.  ‘Running Meetings’ also discusses how a leader needs to ‘take on the role of … joker’(pg 43) at times.  As a teacher, it developed from a place of confidence with course material and focus on my desire to develop a rich rapport with students, but took practice in combining to the two to a place of comfort.  I suspect that the level of development I seek to reach as a humorous leader in a church might require time in experience of the position, just as it occurred with teaching.  Nonetheless, I believe being mindful of it will draw me toward its development.

I found it mighty helpful to receive most of the annual meeting information electronically prior to the gathering.  Being able to digest much of the information days ahead of time, certainly gave me more mental space to be present in the meeting.  I see great value in providing detailed agendas and reports ahead of time for people to process early.