Weitzel_Week 1

Re: Weitzel_Week 1

by Jennifer Weitzel -
Number of replies: 0

Dr. O'Brien, 

Thank you for your reflections and for inviting me to think more deeply about my response. 

In Remix 1, I understand the midwives in a "position of very little power" to be explanatory of the time period, thus the "world behind the text." I was also considering the "foreshadowing" as a sociological connection to the period of the time since the Hebrew people would have understood the connections between stories much more intrinsically than I have ever considered. 

In Remix 2, I focused on the sentence that says the "use of the familiar phrase reminds the reader that the baby born under a death sentence is a part of God's created order." Fentress-Williams goes on and continues to make further parallels to the Genesis story regarding the "salvation of the child." I also thought these explanations would have made more sense to the reader of the time in drawing out connections between stories and were not necessarily understood by reading the text directly. 

Regarding your point, I also see how both of these remixes would fit into the category of the "world of the text," when I read the contextual and literary parts of Fentress-Williams' argument. 

Thanks, again, for helping me to think more deeply about the text.