Post on Field Observation Assignment

Mesias_Field Observation

Mesias_Field Observation

by Celso Mesias -
Number of replies: 0

15-minute Assignment PRIOR TO JANUARY 13, 2017 CLASS

Field Observation in a Congregation

One of the ways we understand the culture and theology of a congregation is by observing its social setting, its building, its artifacts, and its rituals.  This is a very brief introduction to how to start this process.

Visit a church building – preferably one you do not know.  It can be for a worship service or at a time when worship is not held.  Write brief notes to answer the following questions.

What does a quick look at the neighborhood tell you about the community surrounding this church?

The Church I visited was Saint John’s Episcopal Church. It is located in downtown Lancaster City. The community surrounding this Church is basically urban, and in this particular area very diverse, mostly hispanic and african american residents, although not necessarily their attendees or members. Basically  they are caucasians, coming out of the city.

What does the building tell you about the culture of this church?

It tells me a very traditional culture. All built in red bricks. The architecture style of the temple matches to the history and values with the denomination.  

What do the material objects inside the church tell you?

It has at the front, in the middle of the sanctuary a big beautiful colorful stained-glass window, ‘vitral’ in spanish, and more on the sides showing biblical passages.

Also many crosses on the walls, and many religious furniture.

So, it’s tell me how traditional are with rituals.

Looking at the bulletin (if one is available inside the sanctuary), what do you learn about the symbols, rituals, worldview, tradition, and culture of this church?

What I learned is that the Capital Campaign Vision of this Church is to honoring their past and welcome the future.

Also, they invite everyone as equals to God’s table and declare Christ’s mission: 

Grow in God - Act in Service - Witness in Love. 

Embracing all generations, and committed with the community, as well as organizing events like Celebrations for Freedom & Peace, Martin Luther King Day.