Post on Field Observation Assignment

Weston Field Observation

Weston Field Observation

by Coralis Weston -

What does a quick look at the neighborhood tell you about the community surrounding this church?

Looking around the neighborhood I was able to tell that this is a diverse community. Driving to the location I was able to see different housing communities. This implied to me that there are different levels of socioeconomic status surrounding this area.

What does the building tell you about the culture of this church?

The building had a traditional town church structure. I was quickly able to determine that I was not walking into a Mega Church. Most of the members of the church were Caucasian. The service had a traditional flair to it. Everyone was very friendly and inclusive.

What do the material objects inside the church tell you?

The objects of the church indicated that the church did not had much financial earning as the seating and audio system was antiquated. Not many updates have been made to the church including the sanctuary.

Looking at the bulletin (if one is available inside the sanctuary), what do you learn about the symbols, rituals, worldview, tradition, and culture of this church?

This church had a mixed of traditions. One thing that kind of jumped to my attention was the way they did intercessory prayer as they had the prayer warriors in corners and allowed people to come as they felt led. Other churches would do prayers as people come in however they stay in place for 10 minutes before someone walked up to them. They celebrated an open table also. The music was very diverse I was surprise as it did not fit the stereotype of a traditional music selection as I would’ve expected by the experience of the church and the members.